Friday, August 12, 2011

Why We Can't Have Nice Things

I absolutely love being a mom... most of the time. My boys are the funniest people I know. At the ages of one and two, they do and say the craziest things. I'm literally in stitches most of the day.

But.... they are one and two. This leads to a lot of broken, damaged, and stained items throughout the house. For example, I had a choice between a brand new sectional sofa or a handed down variety from a distant in-law relative. At first, I was heartbroken that we selected the old sofa. Now... fifteen gazillion sippy cups of spilled milk on the upholstery and telling the kids no drinks in the living room later... I'm really glad we didn't get the brand new one.

Another example, I used to love costume jewelry and fabulous clothes. Now? Jeans and t-shirts because someone is probably going to spill/barf on me throughout the day. I can't even wear my wedding ring or a necklace because I know the kids will pull on it.

Sigh. I know someday they will grow up. And while that makes me incredibly sad, I'll be glad to have the ability to own nice things without them being absolutely destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment